helping you remember SAT definitions... the dirty way

aesthetic


       aesthetic (adj.) – pertaining to beauty or the arts

for your edification:  Did you know this word is pronounced ess-thet-ic, as opposed to ass-thet-ic?  I’ve always pronounced the first syllable “ass”, and now I kind of feel like an ass.  The truth is, most people I’ve ever heard speak the word “aesthetic” have said, “ass-thet-ic.”  Anyways, if it helps you remember the definition of the word, pronounce it ass first, and then think in your head that that particular part of the body pertains to beauty (or the arts!  Michelangelo clearly spent a long time carving David’s chiseled ass, and what an aesthetic result he achieved!).  So, when you see the word “aesthetic, automatically think “ass” – more specifically, a beautiful one, or a particularly artistic one.

examplification -  Carl:  Forgive me if this sounds sexist, Gina, but for my AP art project, my teacher told us to use a thing of beauty as our aesthetic inspiration, so I just thought of your ass and painted away.

Gina:  Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment