helping you remember SAT definitions... the dirty way

baleful


        baleful (adj.) – malignant; miserable; really, really, completely bad

for your edification:  I always had a hard time remembering this one until I broke it down.  And now I’ll break it down for ya, fellaz (and ladiez in the hiz whatwhat!):  What we have is bale and ful.  We’ll concentrate on the bale part.  Actually, we’re gonna use a homophone of bale:  bail.  As in, the money that you desperately need when you’re in the number one last place you wanna be - back against the wall of course– that malignant, miserable place otherwise known as the “slammer” (behind bars; in lockup; in the clink; up the river; covering your pokey in the pokey; jail!).  In other words:  when you need bail, it is about the worst, most miserable situation you can imagine.  Being in jail and needing bail is completely baleful.


examplification -  Birthmark Tony:   Dude, Skinny Jim’s in a baleful situation right now.  He needs five grand to make bail or else he’s gonna stay in that miserable  godforsaken jail again tonight.

Carl:  I’d throw in my twenty dollars, but I’m craving a pizza like a mofe right now, so I can’t chip in.

Birthmark Tony:  Same.   Grab some cheezy breadsticks while you’re at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment