helping you remember SAT definitions... the dirty way

latent


       latent (adj.) – hidden, but capable of being exposed

for your edification:  All right.  To remember this one, let’s examine the way our word looks.  Phonetically, “latent is pronounced “LAY tint,” but for our purposes, we’re gonna pronounce it “lay tent.”  Now, before we continue, I’m gonna take you back to my junior year of high school.   Allow me to paint a picture, if you will.  So, there’s a boy in my pre-cal class, Matt, we’ll call him.  Well, Matt had this profound problem pretty much each and every day during our 5th period mathematics lesson.  You see, our Matt simply could not help but lay a tent right in the middle of our engrossing lessons on cosines and tangents.  Matt  just could not keep his tent hidden.  Hell, his jeans just could not keep his tent hidden.  Am I making myself clear enough for you?  We liked to say that Matt had a Dixie, and each and every day Matt wrecked that Dixie.  His poor Dixie wrecked, again!  Aaah, you say!  Why couldn’t Matt keep his tent hidden?  I don’t know.  He needed to.  I’m with you. Matt should seriously keep his tent latent!  Looking back, I guess I couldn’t help getting a little overexcited about parabolas, either.


Now, that my little anecdote is finished,  let’s put it all together:


examplificationCrystal:  Good Lord, Carl.  Put that thing away!  You are totally laying a tent right now!  Get that thing hidden; that tent needs to be latent  - NOW!  Think about the lunchroom lady or something.

Carl:  Geez, Crystal.  Why do you think I laid the tent in the first place?  You know Geraldine and her juicy corn nuggets get me every time!

Crystal:  Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment