helping you remember SAT definitions... the dirty way

whet


       whet (v.) – to stimulate; to make eager

for your edification:  Ugh.  This one’s so obvious.  “Whetis pronounced “wet.”  (Duh.  As though any of you were reading it, going, “wa het.”  Wait.  Did you just do that?  Did you say “wa het” in your head?  Wow.  You need me more than I thought.)  Allrighty.  So, how do I say this delicately?  Well, you know how sometimes when, uh, things/parts/someone’s dirty-dirty no-no spots are really eager or get kinda, stimulated, then they often get wet?  Well, that’s how you can remember the meaning of “whet.”  When the dirty-dirty-no-no spots are wet, something has whetted them.  They were stimulated.  They were made eager.  Now they are wet. 

examplification  - Patty:  Your dentist appointment this morning caused you to miss the most amazing assembly I’ve ever sat through in my entire high school career.

Marjorie:  What?   Assemblies are soul-sucking prototypes of worthlessness specifically designed to bring us one hour closer to our impending deaths.  What did I miss?

Patty:  Holy cramps; it was awesome.  Jason DeRosa was on stage waiting to get us all pumped for the big game this Friday when apparently the cheerleaders in front of him whet his, uh, appetite, making him so eager that he got a ginormous wet spot on his nicely ironed Dockers.

Marjorie:  Dammit!  That sounds incredible, and I missed it.  I had a freaking cavity, too.

Patty:  Rough day.

Marjorie:  The worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment