helping you remember SAT definitions... the dirty way

pithy


       pithy (adj.) – briefly stated but meaningful in expression

for your edification:  Hooray!  Another classic!  This is one of my favorite words for many reasons, but mainly because it sounds like “pissy” with a lisp.  I love when words sound like other words in lisp-form.   (Some others include – but are not limited to – moth, math, meth, faith, forth, millionth, billionth, and zillionth, ash, brash, clash, dish, gash, mesh, pish, and douche.) Back to pithy.  We’re actually going to use pithy’s lispy twin pissy to help us remember its definition.  Okay.  You know how sometimes when people say something really short and succinct, it often comes across as sounding pissy?  Well, many times the speaker does not intend to sound pissy at all; it is just that the statement they have stated is short and sweet.  It could be summed up and briefly stated while still being meaningful in expression. 

ExamplificationPaula:  I always get so nervous before first dates.  Any advice before I leave?

Crystal:  Don’t allow anything between your legs today if you don’t want to pull something out from there nine months from now.

Paula:  Wow.  Are you pissy because I’m going on another date this week while you’ll be home washing your hair?

Crystal:  I wasn't being pissy.  I was pithy.  You tend to be a little slutty, and I thought you could use some advice that is briefly stated yet meaningful in expression.

Paula:  Well, I can’t argue with that. Thanks for the guidance!

Crystal:  I call ‘em like I see ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment