helping you remember SAT definitions... the dirty way

rancor


        rancor (n.) – bitter hatred

for your edification:  Have you ever witnessed the cool kids catch sight of something in particular,  assess that that something in particular is unfortunately not up to the acceptable standard for cool kids, wrinkle up their cool kid noses, and say something deep and mysterious like, “Ew.  That is so rank”?   I have to imagine that you have, because “rank” is a popular word of choice that the chosen ones often choose to express their disgust/anger/boredom/distaste/frustration/confusion/separation/fear/ what-have-you regarding whatever it is they are choosing to assess.  It’s like this:  “Oh my freaking G, McDonwald (cool kids always have names that seem like their parents are playing a giant joke on the rest of mankind).  That sweater-thing that girl over there is trying to wear is so rank.”

Well, what’s “ranker than rank”?  It’s rancor:  something for which you have an extreme, absolute, bitter hatred. It’s so rank, it’s not just rank, it’s rancor. Ew.  Bitterly hating it!

Alternatively, if you are like my cousin Dave and haven’t gotten close enough to a cool person to hear a cool person use the word “rank”, you might need another way to remember what rancor means.  My cousin Dave and his three skeezy friends have a really gross ranking system that they use to “rank” girls based on their appearance.  I have a profound, bitter hatred for anyone who ranks girls (or guys, or cyborgs, whatever), 'cause, lemme tell you, it's not like Cousin Dave is gonna win any prize himself. So, there.  Let’s all have rancor for rankers.

examplification - Harrison:  I feel nothing but cold and bitter rancor for that rank beast of a calculus teacher after she called my mom because I was texting in class again.  Now I can’t play in the lacrosse quarterfinals on Thursday.  I hate her.

Marrison:  She’s also really nast.  As a ranker, I rank her a definitively not-hot 4.  I have rancor for chicks who rank so low in my ranking system.  Also for your texting thing, too.

Harrison:  Gracias, bronado. 

No comments:

Post a Comment